Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm a problem reader

I read a quote today that I loved. It was by Emilie Buchwald and it said,

"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."

I have loved books ever since I can remember. I am almost always reading a book and have read almost every day since the second grade.

My parents call me a problem reader. Which to be fair, my whole family is full of problem readers. It must be a genetic condition. All growing I continually got in trouble for reading too much. It was common to hear "Put the book down!" in my house. I also got my book taken away several times because I wouldn't stop reading it.

While we were growing up my parents read to my siblings and I all the time. My mom read series of books to the whole family, and every day we would listen to a chapter or two. She read us The Work and The Glory, Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites, Harry Potter (I was notorious for getting these books taken away. My dad would come in at 11 at night and take it away from me), Little House on the Prairie (I wanted to BE Laura Ingalls Wilder. I also totally checked this series out from the BYU library and read it), and countless others. My mom started reading the Little House series to me when I started kindergarten, and then I listened to it again when Kelsie started kindergarten and then again when Karlie started kindergarten. That's probably why I love the Little House books so much.

I saw my parents reading often when I was growing up too. Parents are the ones who introduce us to books and show us the fun in escaping to new and exciting worlds. Emilie Buchwald really had it right when she said children get a love of reading from their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment